The Trend that Matters

As many of us are in ‘evaluation mode,’ I wanted to share this video.  We all know the value of setting goals for ourselves – personally or professionally.  We teach our students everyday about the importance of achieving goals.  And around this time of year, we tend to do a lot of reflection about those goals.  But with what’s been going on this semester with COVID-19, I’ve heard or read comments lately about not being able to “hit a goal” or “do what I wanted to do,” and I sense a bit of disappointment (even failure) in those comments.  I find myself feeling the same way when I didn’t get to finish a project I started or pursue an idea I had.  It’s not a positive mindset to be in.

As we write our self-assessments, please keep in mind that success is not only defined by hitting goals, but also by the process and journey of getting there.  HOW you work to reach those goals, is as important (and in my mind more important), as reaching them.

Anyway, I like this video a lot.  I hope you enjoy too.  Take 5 minutes to watch it.  Use it to remind yourself that what you all are doing is awesome, appreciated, and valued.  Keep it up.