Dr. Michael McShane, Professor of Finance (Risk Management and Insurance)
- Teaching Interests: Insurance, especially Property-Casualty Insurance; Risk Management, especially Enterprise Risk Management; cyber risk management and insurance.
- Current Research Interests: Transdisciplinary collaboration on enterprise risk management (ERM) and cyber risk management and insurance.
My Papers. Click to access some of my papers.
Insurance and Financial Services Center at ODU. Check out the Center and related major/minor.
Center for Cybersecurity Education and Research (CCSER). A primary mission of ODU’s Center for Cybersecurity Education and Research (CCSER) is to develop high-impact, cross-disciplinary research initiatives that center on cybersecurity and be a source of cybersecurity expertise to the University, the Hampton Roads region, and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Entsminger Fellow: Cohort 2. Entsminger Fellows are interdisciplinary cohorts of faculty and staff charged with spreading an entrepreneurial ecosystem to all parts of ODU, made possible by a generous gift from alumnus Lee Entsminger ’74.
- Roots in Kentucky and West Virginia.
- Reed College in Portland, Oregon for a couple of years.
- University of New Mexico: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
- Hewlett-Packard in Tokyo, Japan: worked 10 years in HP’s semiconductor test equipment research and development facility.
- Western Kentucky University: MBA in 2000.
- University of Mississippi: PhD in Finance with an interest in risk management and insurance in 2007.
- Old Dominion University since August 2007.
- 2007 to 2013: Assistant Professor
- 2013 to 2021: Associate Professor
- Since July 25, 2021: Full Professor
- 2019: EV Williams Fellowship. Service and Teaching Award. Awarded on the basis of an established record of excellence in teaching and service effectiveness. 2019 to 2021.
- 2019: “Most Inspirational Faculty” for ODU Student who received the Kaufman Award in May 2019 (top student in the entire university). Elizabeth Trahadias, Math major and Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) minor who is president of our RMI Student Club.
- 2018: Shining Star Award: Fall 2018. For being recognized by students for demonstrating evidence of helping students succeed academically, professionally, or personally inside and outside of the class-room setting
- 2016: Most Inspirational Faculty in College of Business. Each semester, the student with the best GPA picks their most inspirational faculty member who is honored at a reception and at commencement.
- 2016: EV Williams Fellowship. Overall Award. Awarded on the basis of an established record of excellence in research and teaching and service effectiveness. 2016 to 2018
- 2016: Outstanding Tenured Faculty Teaching Award in the Strome College of Business.
- 2015: Highly Commended Award. A best paper award for articles published in the Engineering Management Journal. Paper: Applying a Systems Model to Enterprise Risk Management., American Society for Engineering Management (ASEM)
- 2015: Most Inspirational Faculty in College of Business. Each semester, the student with the best GPA picks their most inspirational faculty member who is honored at a reception and at commencement.
- 2014: EV Williams Research Fellow. Awarded on the basis of an established record of excellence in research and teaching and service effectiveness. 2012 to 2014
- 2011: Outstanding Service Award, ODU College of Business and Public Administration