Cooking and Eating– and REPEAT!

My time in Japan isn’t spent as a tourist– it’s more like a daughter who has come home from college for a break. Though I’m full, because I’ve been eating for days straight, and my friends acknowledge that I’ve told them that I’m full, we all giggle at my fullness and then eat another meal. I think I just get driven from one place to another to eat. “But, you won’t get to eat this when you go home!” “But you love this!” True and true. But, seriously I’ve eaten so much it literally hurts!

On the last day at my J-mom’s house, we pretty much launched into a 4-hour eating fiasco in her kitchen. I literally woke up, ate breakfast and never left the kitchen table. It was imperative that she teach me how to make dango, little balls of steamed rice dough, so I could make them for myself when I got home. It started with making the dough.

We rolled it into little balls to be steamed over the gas stove. As I’m making this, while it was a blast
to roll them like play dough, I was wondering who was going to eat them all. They’re pretty dense!

After a little bit of steaming (while we ate sweet beans), they were ready to eat. Shiny and delicious, I was full after just one. But, to keep from missing the opportunity to eat this yummy food, I pressed onward. Until…I was ready to burst! Since they’re pretty flavorless (like most rice products), they’re best eaten dipped in a mixture of soy sauce and sugar. It sounds like a weird combo, but actually it’s pretty common in Japanese cuisine.

So…I ate til I hurt (I know, it doesn’t look like I’m hurting in the picture, but look how many of those things she wanted me to eat!!) and then I packed up my bags and moved to my other friends house where I would spend the remainder of my time in Japan. And wouldn’t you know it, I was met with…
MORE FOOD!!!

No dinner is complete without dessert: Fresh peaches and banans with ice cream and homemade blueberry jam.

I’m not kidding when I say that I ate for a week straight while I was in Japan. This continued on until my plane took off (my friend made me a bento lunch with all my favorite things to eat on the plane ride home). Food, food, food. I’d be lying if I said that we don’t all go home to Japan just to eat. Yum. No regrets here! There will be plenty of time for fasting later.

Click on a tab to select how you'd like to leave your comment